Story and Background
Alicia du Plessis is a multidisciplinary writer. She completed her Bachelor of Arts degree, majoring in Art History and Classical Civilization, as well as two Honors, namely, in Art History and Education and Development, at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. For her main Honors project in Art History, she explored perceptions of the San Bushmen’s identity and the concept of the “Other”. She has also looked at the use of photography in art and how it has been used to portray people’s lives.
Alicia’s other areas of interest in Art History include the process of writing about Art History and how to analyze paintings. Some of her favorite art movements include Impressionism and German Expressionism. She is yet to complete her Masters in Art History (she would like to do this abroad in Europe) having given it some time to first develop more professional experience with the interest to one day lecture it too.
Alicia’s Role at Art in Context
Alicia has been working for artincontext.com since 2021 as an author and art history expert. She has specialized in painting analysis and is covering most of our painting analysis.
- 2 years experience as an editor and journalist
- 3 years experience as an author and content creator
- 1 year experience as a copywriter
- 5 years experience as photographer and data assistant, KwaZulu-Natal Museum, South Africa
- 1 year experience as a tutor, Hands-On Education Centre, South Africa
Reader’s Favorites by Alicia
- Elements of Art
- Fallen Angel by Alexandre Cabanel
- The Two Fridas by Frida Kahlo
- Principles of Art
- Types of Visual Art